Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Frozen bay

I have posted a photo of Irondequoit Bay before, but this time we are looking at the lower bay, with a view to the North. Also the bay is now covered in ice, although I am sure it is not too thick yet. During the winter there are people who drive their cars on the ice, and sometimes the ice is not sufficient to support the weight. Not something I care to experience.

On the horizon you can see the Irondequoit Bay Bridge, a long strut bridge of almost a half mile in length. When this bridge was completed in 1967 it provided a shortened means of travel between Irondequoit (and Rochester) and Webster on Route 104.

As I shot this photo I looked over the reeds and was surprised to see what I think is a red tail hawk on the ice, tearing at it's pray which appears to have been a duck moments ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment