Calumet is the what the French called the American Indian peace pipe. So it is ironic that this building, called "The Calumet", once housed the Buffalo chapter of the Klu Klux Klan. It is equally astonishing that the KKK even had a following in this northern upstate city.
The Calumet is a distinctive art nouveau designed glazed terra cotta building constructed in 1906. It presently houses an upscale restaurant, and was recently purchased and will be restored by a law firm for their offices on the upper floors.