This is what's left of an old Erie Canal lock in Pittsford, New York. The original canal opened in 1825 and was only 40 feet wide and four feet deep. This lock operated for about 100 years until the canal was improved, enlarged and rerouted to bypass Rochester's downtown.
Although much of the old canal pathways have been repurposed and carry interstate highways, this section has only been disturbed by the return to nature, and is largely unknown and hidden behind Pittsford Plaza. But to those that know, it also provides a rustic walking trail along the former tow paths.