Thursday, October 14, 2010

Perfect reflection

I have a Adirondack guidebook by Seneca Ray Stoddard that was first published in 1874 (mine is a modern reprint). I enjoy reading it not only because I love the Adirondacks, but because the language and style is obviously different than if it was written today.

There is a chapter on Lake Placid in which he describes the lake as "a pretty sheet of water". That phrase stuck with me, and this photo reminds me of it. This pond in the office park in which I work is often perfectly still and mirror-like early in the morning, and the reflections can be nearly perfect.

So this 136 year old book provides an inspiration for me. And other than a few details in the background, Stoddard might find the scene pretty familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment