Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Just beyond the split

A few days ago I posted an image of an abandoned lock from the early days of the Erie canal. I mentioned that the canal had been rerouted to bypass downtown Rochester when it was enlarged and improved back in the early 1900's. This picture shows what remains of the older pathway about a mile away from the lock and just beyond the split to the new channel (the newer section looks like this).

It is pretty amazing that the remnant of a two hundred year old ditch still contains a bit of water a hundred years since it was last active as a canal. Of course I am sure rainwater does collect (and stagnate) in this trough, but still it is unexpected.

2 comments:

  1. I was very close to this spot a few weeks ago and I was impressed that the pathways have be cared for before we got there. I wasn't prepared for the huge number of mosquitoes that descended upon us, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice shot, John, and I'm sure it's a beautiful spot to walk if there is a path along it!

    ReplyDelete