Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Corner store

A bit of american that is slowly becoming a rarity. Years ago each neighborhood had a corner store where the staples of life could be found and everyone knew the shop keeper.

These days it is either the big box supermarket or a convenience store that is really a glorified gas station. I don't like to buy my milk from the same store that sells unleaded gas.

I guess the corner store is really the descendent of the old time general store, but like the original, it is destined for the history books.

1 comment:

  1. It's just the same here in the UK and a subject of some debate about how local shops can offer something different to the supermarket chains. for example I tend to use some of the excellent ethnic shops that we have in Leicester because there produce is more varied, less expensive and of better quality than I could buy in the big shops

    ReplyDelete