Monday, July 11, 2016

International spectacle

All my life I have lived within 65 miles or so of Niagara Fall and have visited there dozens of times since I was little. However, over the last 10 or 20 years... not so much. I had occasion to again visit over the weekend and was surprised how much things have changed. No, the falls still look about the same, but what was different was the crowd that was doing the looking... I heard almost no English and I think the majority of tourists were oriental. Even the rain did not dissuade them.

Which I guess explains why there were so many Indian and Pakistani restaurants within walking distance... of course in addition to the obligatory Hard Rock Cafe.

On the dusky scene below, feel free to click for a larger version.

3 comments:

  1. It's been a very, very long time since I've been to the falls. My family used to make the trip from Akron, Ohio, every summer. After a while, I just got desensitized to it, but seeing your photos, I think that I'd like a return visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to Niagara Falls in decades, but then I live half a continent away. Love your night photo of the falls. It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, the first version with the crowd in the foreground I find really convincing, just the framing is maybe a tad on the tight side. But the group in the blue raincoats really makes the image special

    ReplyDelete